Yes, yes, another Sokoban clone.. But this one has lost its vowels ;-)
SKBN is a sokoban clone called SKBN. The 128kB ROM contains the 1043 levels of the Microban and Sasquatch level sets created by David W. Skinner.
In this project, I focused mostly on making sure that all levels of those sets would be playable, even large ones.
To achieve this, the engine supports different tile sizes: 24x24, 16x16, 12x12, 8x8 and 4x4.
The 12x12 engine was the most challenging, as the two grids of 8x8 tiles (native) and 12x12 tiles
(virtual) create interesting complications, combining vertical and/or horizontal splits. The required tiles
are built on-the-fly while displaying and playing the level.
The 4x4 engine is useful for previews, but also for very large levels. But those may not be very playable
unless you use an emulator or an RGB-connected display.
The in-game menu has options to undo a move or the last push. The history can hold 1000 moves.
Of course, solving more than 1000 levels in one session is unthinkable (probably) so the completion status of the levels is saved in SRAM,
or directly on flash, if the game is running on a compatible cartridge such as
those I designed
May 21, 2021 (Friday)
|Correct the spelling of 'Dimitri & Yorick'
skbn-v1.4.zip (125.2 KB)
March 31, 2021 (Wednesday)
- Add a 'Well Done' message when solving a level
- Fix a bug where the player could move in diagonal, and undoing the last move would then remove a wall block and add a new box to the level!
- Move the Level number in the status bar one column to the right to avoid displaying text in the first column.
- Small tweaks to the tile screen (sharper box corner, black countour)
skbn-v1.3.zip (125.2 KB)
March 30, 2021 (Tuesday)
- Added a 24x24 tiles mode.
- Boxes now move smoothly, in-sync with the player when pushed. (instead of teleporting).
- Reworked the player artwork and other small cosmetic details.
- Correct a bug which caused unsolved levels to show as solved in the menu when scrolling.
- Display 'player on target' correctly during previews.
skbn-v1.2.zip (121.4 KB)
March 29, 2021 (Monday)
- Add a short 'end level' jingle.
- Add 'Dimitri & Yorick' and 'Sokogen-990602' level sets by Jacques Duthen (Easy levels)
- Fixed the 'parallax' effect at the end of a level (was not well controlled and jittery on real hardware).
- Correct initial player position (was not centered until first movement)
- Fine tune player sprite position in 12x12 tiles levels (was a bit too low)
- Remove the debug info (number in upper right corner) in 12x12 tile display mode
skbn-v1.1.zip (115.2 KB)
March 27, 2021 (Saturday)
|First release for smspower.org coding competition 2021
skbn_release_smscomp2021.zip (112.8 KB)
Making this game would have been much more difficult without these tools:
A big thanks to the authors of the above!
Of course, there would be nothing to see here without the game contents, the levels! I used
levels that can be redistributed freely provided that their author is credited.
- Thanks to David W. Skinner for the Microban and Sasquatch collections.
- Thanks to Jaques Duthen for the Dimitri & Yorick and Sokogen 990602 collections.